Thursday, May 5, 2011

On Killing Osama bin Laden.....To See - Or Not To See.

On Monday morning, Facebook was already a buzz, hot on the debate of wheather or not to see 'proof' of the killing of Osama bin Laden. Twitter-ers were twittering as fast as their little thumbs would twitt. Within 1 hour, I saw some within my Facebook network absolutely giddy about the death of one of the worlds most notorious terrorists and giving shout-outs and HIP HIP HORRAYS to the US Government and to the military. Other folks started re-posting a quote from Dr. Martin Luther King.
"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkenss cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

In addition, others were saying things like "I can't believe Obama is taking credit for this!" For me, that was the last straw. I had to chime in. Up until that point, I tried to keep political and religious views out of the picture and not use FB as a theater to apostatize those views, but I couldn't take it. First, I had to correct the comment that Obama took all the credit. What he ACTUALLY did was acknowledge that he gave direction, gave credit to the military, to the counterterorism professionals, global allies, President Zardari, to the men who carried out the mission and to the families who lost a loved one(s) on 9/11.

Secondly, on " ...the death of one, not even an enemy statement..", I reminded those folks that if a man broke into their home, bound and gagged their daughter and/OR their wife or sister - raped them - sodomized them - beat them - and made you watch as it all happened, then drug you outside and made you watch as they blew up your home and family...."all in the name of Allah", they might just feel differently. I reminded those folks Osama bin Laden was not a true Muslim. What he was, was truly insane, and used religion as his catalyst, as was other terrorist like Hitler and Stalin; bringing it further in to our own yards - as was Ted Bundy, The Zodiac Killer, Charles Manson, Jim Jones, Guy Ballard, and David Keresh.
My question was this: "Do you want to see pictures of those killers too?" "Have you laid awake at night wondering if they're really dead because you haven't seen a picture of the dead body?

I even addressed the religious part of this: I reminded someone about 2 scriptures from the Bible when they had the AUDACITY to question the killings of world enemies: In the New Testaments, the apostle Paul declares that God empowers governments to punish those who do evil. Civil officials are told to bear the sword as avengers and execute wrath on those who practice wickedness. Romans 13: 1 - 7 and also, First Peter 2: 13 - 14 is in agreement - God ordained government to ensure order in society by punishing evildoers.


I'm reminded that up until as recently as 2004, 80% of Americans thought that the assassination of John F. Kennedy was a cover-up! It wasn't until 1992 that the records were released by the 'President John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act" The final report wasn't even released until 1998!!

In addition (just for a little humor here) THOUSANDS of mourners walked right past the casket of Elvis Pressley in 1977; they saw him with their very own eyes....and yet today - there are folks who still think he's alive and living in his Memphis mansion eating hotdogs and doughnuts, sitting in a chair, looking out his window from the top floor.

On the point of Obama taking the credit; this statement was especially disturbing to me because it was made by a person that had served in the military. I had to remind that person that yes - he IS reponsible for the death of Osama bin Laden. He is the Commander-in-Chief of this country. He gave the orders. He was involved in every decision. I KNEW they were fully aware of the military protocol and was flabergasted that they would even say that. I have to admit, I did give a little sting on that note saying George Bush couldn't get it done - but Obama DID. End of story.

Okay now, back to the point of the pictures:
I have a couple of questions for the unbelievers. Why do you want to make Osama bin Laden a martyr? Why do you want to risk the security of the United States of America (where you live) to further terrorist attacks in retaliation to his death? Why do you REALLY want to see the pictures? Is it your morbid curiosity? I tell you my thoughts, even if the government DID show them, you know what those same "Trump-ers" would say? "Looks like they photo-shopped the hell out of it!" In other words....they wouldn't believe it anyway.

John Stewart said "Personally the best reason in my mind for releasing the photos is that we've been fighting this war for nearly 10 years - - thousands of US deaths, tens of thousands of Iraqis and Afghanis have died - and we've seen nearly zero photographic evidence of it." Oh really? Uh - do you watch the news John Stewart? I see pictures and videos of it all the time. Anybody with a computer and the internet has access to endless amounts of it. I've even seen 2 full documentaries on the 'war on terrorism' on the History channel!

I do not believe that it has anything to do with the graphic nature of the photos as to why they shouldn't be seen. We see that kind of thing everyday in movies and television shows - horrible graphics that personally, I think should NOT be seen. I DO believe, that the government has weighed the pros and cons of the release. I do believe that showing the photos would encourage gangs and recruits of Al-Qaeda and would inflame anti-American sentiment like a pep-rally. I believe that the military used face recognition software, took the DNA samples, took the photographs for archives, did probably some sort of autopsy aboard the ship, washed the body, wrapped it, and buried it at sea - oh, why at sea? Obvious.... you would end up with one group robbing the grave to totally tear up the body - the head, whatever, and display it in hate, or set it on fire. You would have another group, who would probably rob the grave, taxidermy the body and keep it as a shrine and inspiration to members of Al-Qaeda.
Perhaps there would be another group, one that would dig up the body and sell the PARTS for profit!! Yes indeed, there are those out there who would do just that.
At sea is fitting.

When I saw the hanging of Saddam Hussein I felt pitty for him. Yes, for a brief moment I had forgotten the thousands he had killed, I forgot the own members of his family he had killed, the THOUSANDS that he killed of his own people with chemical weapons. I forgot that he used to throw people into industrial shredders. I forgot how he allowed his evil sons to rape and kill women, then to feed them to the starving dobermans. .....sympathy and pitty is what I felt. I wish I had never seen the video.

I'm sure this debate about whether or not to see the photos, videos, DNA report or whatever else will go on and on, until the government finally shows them under the pressure. If they do - I'm sure the other side will say he caved in to the pressure and what kind of president is that? Can Obama ever win ? Probably not. As Americans, we've forgotten how to trust in our President. We've lost the 'Stand by your country' and gained 'Always be a pessimist.' Yes, we've fought this war a long, long time. Do I feel the victims of 9/11 have been justified? Yes. I believe in my president. I don't need to see the dead body. I don't want to make Osama a martyr for others to follow in his footsteps. There will always be Osama's out there, he's not the only one we will fight who dares walk into our yard, but I've seen Osama bin Laden's face for 10 years. He's dead. Why do I need to see that face one more time? Nah, I'll pass on that one.

Oh yea....one last thing...
Mr. Trump, and all you "Trumpers" out there. Wanna do something good for this country? Then why don't you shut up. Go do what you do best and rip off a land owner or - better yet - - why don't you get busy and rebuild the twin towers? That should give you something to do. Stop wasting my President's time and this country's. Of ALL the huge world topics and things going on right now - you pick a birth certificate? What a whimpy, petty, thing. ...you remind me of Sarah Palin. .lets face it...that stunt ended your political career.

My President has terrorist to kill - - to keep your ass safe. Don't bother him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment